Friday, April 16, 2010

Nobody Gets Out of Here Without Singing the Blues


I'm spending a lot of time swallowing words. My brain is working overtime turning my negative thoughts into positive ones. I resent that I can't go to the grocery cuz I don't hold the purse strings. So, I write a list and Brian goes. Sometimes he calls me to clarify items. Always he calls when he gets home so I can bring groceries in and put them away. I'd rather just be able to go myself.
I don't go shopping. I don't go out. I don't spend money. I am trying to not be a drain on finances. But it is draining my soul to be supportive, patient and optimistic. Not at first. But after a couple of months I get stretched quite thin.
Rationally, I know he is working hard. He isn't happy being out of work. The stress of it made him so sick that he couldn't even think clearly for a month or so. I hurt for him and wish I could wave a wand and fix this. Really all I can do is let him know I love him no matter what. And I do love him with no conditions set.My fear is that I can't stop this feeling of being helpless and depressed to the extent of suicide.
What words am I not saying?
Imagine someone drowning and their watery cries for help that get softer and weaker. Calling for help that won't come. "Help me"
Imagine the hysterical crazy street woman screaming at the top of her lungs about what other people are doing wrong. "Stop acting selfishly and hurtfully"
I would rather be happy, even peaceful. There is just so much happy-happy inside me and when it is used up, I'm empty.
Prayer and reading scriptures keep me from jumping of a building. It keeps my heart full enough of love that I can't bring myself to resent Brian. I know he is hurting too.
Whatever it takes, whatever he needs to close the deal, to get a job, I can't do for him. That is the helplessness. It drains me to to point that I struggle to find some openhearted smile for him as much as I want to.
What would I like? Back to the magic wand plan.... Brian to get a job that makes him feel good. Needed and useful. Around people who respect each other.Then I won't feel like I am responsible for his peace of mind anymore. And if I am not drained all the time, I can be stronger and healthier inside.
I can't change Brian. I can't go get someone to hire him. I can continue to pray for him and for us. I can look for ways to be supportive when he want me to be. I can try to relax.

No comments:

Post a Comment