Thursday, March 19, 2009

Missy, Queen of the Yard



I have wondered what it is about turtles and tortoises that draws certain people to them. We really didn’t plan to have turtles. They just kept adopting us. Whatever brought us to this point, we live with an African sulcata, the largest mainland tortoise species in the world.
We have had turtles. However, a couple of red-ear sliders and a box turtle do not prepare you for a tortoise. I asked questions before I bought. What do they eat? What would they need for housing? What diseases do they get? Answering these questions gave me a sense of confidence that I could care for one of these beauties. Ty even agreed to take on this job after I was gone. You know they live a loooong time.
When I first got Missy, she was very shy. However, I learned that she will do anything for a strawberry, so this way we got to know each other. She has a sweet tooth. I also found out she is a picky eater. Who would have thought?
In the winter she stays warm in an aquarium in the garage and occasionally visits us in the house. But when the weather warms up, Missy gets going. She patrols our back courtyard with that funny tip toe walk of hers. This is her land and she knows it. When I am in the yard, she follows me around. I’m never sure if she is begging for a treat or making sure I don’t move her stuff.
She grows slowly but steadily each year. I used to be able to hold her in the palm of my hand and cuddle her under my ear. These days it takes two hands and some muscle to get her around. But in my eyes she is still the little sweetie I brought home.
She is a nice tortoise. If she were human I would be friends with her. She has a gentle way about her and is very patient with Tommy, the crusty, one eyed box turtle who also lives in the yard. He tries his macho act on her and she just walks away. Her size doesn’t scare him. But the indifference just bugs him to death.
It is a good tortoises are solitary animals. Having 2 of these would be silly. Like having 2 elephants. I can see having 1. But 2 is just asking for trouble

1 comment:

  1. She is a nice tortoise - but I did accidentally knock her over that one time and when I picked her up to apologize she pooped all over me. Nice, but a wee bit vengeful. We've, of course, forgiven each other since.

    ReplyDelete